The pseudo-Norman carving on the archway of Old St James’ West Door was added during the Victorian restoration in 1869 (photographs show that prior to this date the arches had been plain stonework). The Devil’s Door is visible through the doorway. On the left is part of the 14th Century White Horse Inn, seperated from the church by Hubert Passage. The churchyard, or cemetery, once extended southwards to the right.
The church of Old St James the Apostle was destroyed during the Second World War and the ruins are now a memorial to the people of Dover who suffered both bombs and shell-fire between 1939 and 1945.
The houses behind the church are on Castle Hill Road that leads to Dover Castle.